Tuesday, April 19, 2011

It's Coming Together

I’m writing this post in the evening (Monday evening). As I sit in front of the blazing woodstove, the peepers are singing outside in the darkness, seven cats are snoozing around me and one gray cat is zooming back and forth under the card table where I write. His belled collar is doing its job telling me where Snafu is as he lets out his energy. This is why I sit at a card table in the middle of the living room (not in the office with my fancy L-shaped desk) – to be in the warmth and be with the cats.

When I retreated to the office, at least 3 cats would accompany me. They’d find a place to nap while Snafu would compete for my attention, pawing at papers, walking across my keyboard, batting at things pictures or signs hung on the walls (here is a video sample one and two of him from before he was on meds). If another kitty jumped on the desk, a battle might occur. Last year he did spray on top of the desk, which was very disheartening at the time.  

Most nights Snafu would park himself in front of the doorway and not let anycat out or in. Inevitably fur flying fights would occur complete with screams and minor injuries. If I closed the door and kept the kitties out altogether, fights still occurred because Snafu sat in front of the door. And the office door is next to their bathroom (with most of their litter boxes) and used to be where their bowls of food were kept when we free fed them.

I could not write with any quiet consistency and with the door closed I was not spending any time with my furry friends. It also gets really cold in there on winter nights closed away from the woodstove. The card table really did change all that. Now the kitties surround me, but no one is allowed on the card table! I even put a small side table next to it with a cat bed so at least one cat can curl up beside me. It really has helped make life complete!

If you want to read more about how Snafu is doing, check out my cat blog here.

2 comments:

  1. I can only barely pay bills at my desk...to do any writing or blogging I have to sit on the sofa so an endless stream of Cats can hop up, settle in, and make way for the next one. I'd love to know how they work out the roster, because whoever I don't get, hubby does at his desk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now I have one kitty guarding the office door waiting for me to open up the food bar so she can eat!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your courteous comments and observations.