Friday, April 1, 2011

Rescue Me Follow up

Well, I’m sad to report the seagull from my Tuesday post “Rescue Me” did not make it.

The woman from Avian Haven said he died almost immediately after arriving. She said there wasn’t anything they could do for him because he had severe internal injuries and a crushed wing, so they would have euthanized him in the long run. She was very appreciative that we took the time to bring the gull in, and said most people don’t think a gull is worth saving.

I am always amazed at how passionate humans can be about something that strikes a chord with them. There are people devoted to every cause imaginable. When the earthquake and tsunami struck Japan, the cat blogging community I belong to clamored to learn about the fate of stranded pets and especially the cats on a Japanese island known as Cat Island. Thankfully the island cats and the 100 or so humans that live with them were largely unscathed. There were special funds set up to help and donations continue to pour in.

Last week I heard a story on National Public Radio about volunteer rescue teams who located and collected lost dogs and cats in the affected area. Within a couple days NPR was reading some of their weekly comments from listeners, and one commenter was angry that anyone would do anything else when there were still human beings missing. I thought to myself, that person doesn’t understand. There are people who are willing and passionate to find lost humans, lost dogs, lost cats and lost gerbils, too I’m sure. I hadn’t heard one report that they needed help finding people, so rescuing pets wasn't an alternative to finding people. It struck a chord with those animal rescuers and they knew they had to do it.

There is a natural balance to humanity when we listen and connect to our inner passion, that "chord," our creator source.

6 comments:

  1. One winter on Maine, more than 10 yrs ago, our English bulldog pounced on a mouse in our house and killed it instantly (flabbergasting us). We soon found 4 or 5 little baby mice in a cupboard. We tried to save them by putting them in a cozy tissue box, keeping them warm and feeding them what the vet told us to feed them through an eye-dropper (milk and liquid vitamins, or something -- can't recall now) but it didn't work. Sad. I'm not a big fan of mice but we couldn't just let them die without trying our best to keep them alive. I _am_ a big fan of seagulls and sorry this one was so baldy injured. I follow @ARLBostonRescue on Twitter to hear about animals they save: geese, seagulls, ducks, various other birds, raccoons, coyotes, woodchucks, cats, dogs, squirrels, etc. I'm glad people do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't view humans as being superior or as being the peak of evolution, the best species on the planet. We're just one of a zillion species, equal in our value, IMO. So rescuing a non-human animal is the same as rescuing a human animal from my point of view. "I" am the "other." We're all One, in other words, so how we treat other species is how we treat our Selves. Does that make sense? I'm not feeling well and my head is foggy, so I'm not sure if I'm getting my thoughts across. LOL.

    I'm sorry that Ms. or Mr. Seagull didn't make it, but you gave him/her a chance, reached out. I think that's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand completely. I can watch the "Save the Children" ads on TV and never blink, but I cry at the ones for homeless and abused animals. Every person has a passion, and life would be boring if we were all the same. There is no better or worse thing to care about. The point is to care, period.

    ~~Trish watergrrl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was sorry to read about the seagull not making it, but at least his last few hours were not spent out in the cold. Call me crazy (I'm sure a lot of people do) but I feel all living breathing things have feelings and some sort of thought pattern that tells them this human is trying to help me. I could not have left him there either, you did a good thing. Karma comes back to us in many ways. You have some good headed your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a life -- whether it walks on two legs or four, it's still a life. Those poor animals suffered as much as the human ones...and I for one would be most concerned about my furry kids if I were in any major calamity. Seeing the Japanese people who went back looking for loved ones, with or without fur, is just as compelling. I don't 'get' a "human" not understanding suffering is suffering.
    But you are right we all have that thing that resonates with us and makes us passionate.

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. You reached out and helped, that is compassion. To those who say such about the animals in Japan, I feel extra sympathy or sorrow for them as they are the saddest of people! To know an animal has been helped gives hope to us all, especially those suffering in Japan.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your courteous comments and observations.