Tuesday, April 5, 2011

MOPe

All my friends are having hot flashes, why can't I?

My mother went through MenOPause when she was 48. She said it was simple for her…one or two periods missed and then there were none. I've been anticipating my last period since I turned 40. Nine years later and I can still have a baby…woo-hoo.

Can you imagine my joy the first time I missed Aunt Flo? Yeah, that was some four years ago. It turns out it was likely due to stress, and every other time after that, too. To add to my grief, my Cousin Red is now staying longer - a full seven to eight days, where she used to only stay a simple 4 to 5 days.

And you could set the moon by my Womenly Flows, I was so regular and without the help of the pill which, of course I had no need of. These days I might as well throw my calendar up in the air.

While I expect the usual cramps, bloating and lower back ache each month, I hadn't expected them to get progressively worse through these last couple of years. But what can be nearly debilitating when the Red-Tide comes in is the hormonal change in my mood. Okay, that was a glossy way of saying I get depressed.

It's coming - or stopping - I know it, and so I'll just look on with envy when my friends start ripping off their sweaters and turning on their mini fans.


5 comments:

  1. I've been eagerly anticipating the death of my eggs for a long time, but apparently they aren't all gone yet. Ha!

    I *have* been taking evening primrose oil for years, though, in preparation for those hot flashes. Also was taking flaxseed oil, but now take omega-3, so figured that was enough.

    I don't know...I don't see it as a "BIG DEAL," but perhaps that's just because I'm not going through it yet. Will I care I'll be past the baby-making stage? Can't imagine I would, since I never wanted to have any human kids, always was happy with my fur family. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had a hysterectomy at 48 and I am OVERJOYED to be done. I had all the same symptoms and "fun" as you, maybe it's time to tell the OG/GYN you've had enough! That's what I did, and they actually agreed...I wish they had ten years ago when I first asked.
    I took black cohosh and primrose and they did seem to help with the hot flashes, but not the moodiness and all the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would kill for 7 or 8 days of Cousin Red. That's how long she stayed during her monthly visits here for about 33 years but lately she's hanging on for 2 weeks easily each time -- though she is sort of in and out, which isn't as bad as it would be if she just installed herself on the couch with the remote and all the good nibbles.

    Re regularity of Aunt Flo's visits, she's here so much more regularly and so much more often (every 24-28 days) since I turned 40 than before (every 28-40 days). Which means, I have gradually realised, more visits from her per year. I wouldn't really mind if she spent some time elsewhere. Or forgot my address.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa
    I was like your Mom, except mine Aunt FLo stopped in my early 40's. It just stopped BOOM and boy was I happy. I haven't had any menopausal symptoms. I feel very fortunate.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Partial hysterectomy at 29, cervical cancer, hormone replacement for 19 years. Stopped that at 48 and here came the hot flashes. I hate them and still get an occasional one at age 68. Be careful what you wish for!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your courteous comments and observations.