Saturday, April 30, 2011

Eat Peeps and Blog

DP had dressed the dogs in their walking bells and harnesses and headed for the door. "Would you like to come for a walk with us?" she asked me so hopefully. "No thanks," I said quickly. "No thanks," she repeated. "I'd rather eat peeps and blog." I laughed with a mouthful of marshmallow and yellow sugar crusted lips.

It's so true.

I am not a person who craves physical activity - not like DP. She walks at least twice a day with the dogs, and is usually looking for additional physical outlets, like running, riding a bike.

Not me.

I'm going to blame my parents. They were not athletic in any fashion. They did not encourage my brothers and me to join sports. Band, yes, because my father was a musician (and my mother an artist), but not softball, basketball, hockey or track. We were all in band though, me with the flute for six years, my older brother E with the trombone, but for only one year, and my eldest brother G with the clarinet right through graduation.

I always thought band was exclusive to sports - jocks are not band geeks, but like many other things she changed my mind about, DP dispelled that notion since she was in track AND band. If fact she won things in track and placed number one in the state of New Hampshire for clarinet (I think that's right, anyway).

Humph! Of course, her father was a runner and a musician so I still blame my parents.

I'd like to say I'm going to change and say yes to becoming more physically active! But I've already tried that in life and I've got to say, I'm not so enamored with it. My feeling at this point is given the time I have to spend available I'd rather be writing or reading.

Okay, maybe cooking and eating too.


3 comments:

  1. I'm still relying on genetics to keep me trim...I need to start exercizing to keep my bones strong, but usually a piece of chocolate quells the urge. I used to be a work out fanatic but now that I'm older and happier I'm not driven like I once was. Blogging and reading and learning piano is just so much more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any peeps left? We'll be right over!

    I was always really thin. My whole life...thin! A 5' 8" size 4 ( 2 if the items were luxury goods) Ate everything and anything, and lots of it. Any physical activity was for fun only. Like my dad, I tended to loose weight easily. Then came the dreaded total hysterectomy. Put on some poorly distributed weight and have absolutely no past knowledge of diet, portion control, restraint or exercise. I should go out and walk a few miles, but...pass the peeps, please.

    I can play one ( just one ) song on the ukulele. Does that count as playing an instrument?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, ditto to the above comments. I told my therapist now that my basement is so near to being clean and a pleasant place to be now after 3 years, that I have slowed in my progress and maybe it's because I told her with that extra 3 hours I would have when I didn't have to be down there cleaning, I was going to start walking again and lose 20#...pass the Peeps!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your courteous comments and observations.