Friday, April 22, 2011

Cleaning 2

Today is house cleaning day. I start about 7:30 AM and will go until about 3:00. This is how long my energy will take me and so I strive to go from one end of the mobile (the master bathroom) to the other end (the office) with the vacuum. For the most part the vacuum is my duster and my broom as well. So basically I’m vacuuming floors, carpets, furniture (which is mostly cat furniture) and yes, appliances.

My weapon of mass suction:



It is the Bissell Lift-off Multi Cyclonic for homes with Pets (note the picture of said pets on the vacuum and the live ones surrounding it).

While it certainly has great suction power and is nearly self-propelled by the rotating brush, it has a couple draw backs. One is the “dust cup” is far too small and gets clogged easily. I have to dump it out at least three times. Another is the special Turbo Brush tool that is supposed to help get into small places. The tool is a waste. It screams like a banshee because the moving parts must not be aligned right or something and it’s kind of awkward and heavy. I was using it to vacuum dog beds that got sucked into the big machine, but it’s not worth the noise when I can simply use the small brush.

The worst problem of the design is the location of the hose. It is at the top of the machine and so when you pull it out to use the extension tool, which is the majority of my usage, the entire vacuum falls backward if pulled too hard. I’ve had that machine slam into me more times than I can count, eliciting many curse words. The design just does not provide for a good anchor for the clunky thing. I have to be aware to keep the machine at an angle to what I’m vacuuming when I have the hose out.

My normal day to clean is Saturday because DP and I usually have Fridays off together to do something – like go to the vet. Today DP is working so I decided to get the house clean one day early and maybe get some quiet time tomorrow.

Good Friday begins.

2 comments:

  1. Argh! Vacuuming is bad enough without having to endure physical abuse as well! We have an upright dyson for carpets and a canister dyson for flors and furniture. I gotta say, dyson really sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lisa, you have my sympathy! I have a Hoover Powermax Cyclone, I have no carpets so I only use the hose on my floors for bits of litter and food that gets dragged out of the bowls and my furniture. I do agree with Trish, the Dyson really "sucks". I had one for a week, a friend came by, fell in love with the purple color and offered to buy it outright with cash on the spot! I succumbed. Have regretted it many times since and it has been 3 years. Hope your Saturday is good!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your courteous comments and observations.