Tuesday, April 12, 2011

What's the Buzz (or Purr)

I'm pretty focused on two things right now - my trip up to the County over the next two days and one of our cat's Snafu. We're scheduled to bring him to a homeopathic vet on Friday. If you're not already a Cat of Nine Tales follower, you can pop over to see or read more on him there. If you don't want to mess with going over there to read it, know that he has a problem territorial spraying his urine indoors and he is aggressive towards the other cats. 


Snafu is such a wonderful character otherwise. He does anything to get your attention because he love, love, loves his humans, though. I'm sure that is part of the problem. He is people oriented and did not learn how to get along with other cats because he lost his mother and litter mates early and was a very sick little kitten for a few crucial socialization weeks where we had to keep him quarantined. 


I could write on and on about him, our issues and my feelings. It's simple though. We love him dearly. We want him to have a happy life with us, but our house smells like a kennel. It is so hard to keep up with him and I can't be home all the time like I was before he started spraying.


One of the things talked about was going to an animal communicator. If you read yesterday's post, you'll recall our lack of impression with two we came across at the mystic fair. I'm curious to know if any of you has used an animal communicator and how it worked for you.

3 comments:

  1. I posted my thoughts on that on the other blog, won't repeat here.

    Have you ever considered that Snafu might be happier in a single-cat home? That is, not in your home. NO ONE wants to take that course, I would say that was a last ditch solution. And you'd only want to do that if you *knew* it was the right home, the right people, that he'd be happier there.

    Poor Snafu!

    There's a cat at the shelter the boys were adopted from who doesn't like other cats, dogs or kids. He's become a permanent shelter resident (not kept with the other cats, but allowed free in part of the shelter). Not the best solution, of course, but he's almost impossible to place because pet people usually have more than one animal.

    I wish I had an easy solution for you. I'm glad you haven't given up on him and hope the holistic vet can help.

    But the reality is that no matter what you do, Snafu might just be better suited to being the only pet in the household. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mentioned on your other blog that we have a sprayer too. And I am aware of the 'smells' I don't care for in some rooms. We love Ping and like you want him to be happy. He is so insecure and I know he is doing this to reassure himself. BUT it is hard. Hard when he has ruined the hard wood floor and hard when he sprays ON the walls -- of course he has gotten most of the furniture but generally that is not his target. We just have run out of options.

    It's tough.
    I have thought about an animal communicator too but have not pursued it.

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for Snafu because I have Margaret, who was found behind the rescue in a carrier 9 years ago with a note saying she was an indoor outdoor cat, 4 years old. Well, at a rescue like this one there is no outside, we now have a room that was added on a few years back that is screened they can get out on BUT, she hates other animals. Dogs and cats. But she loves me, before the rescue closed last fall due to lack of funding and 40 cats went to a sanctuary I decided to bring her to my place. I knew she would hate having to be in the midst of that many other cats. She stays on my desk and I have adjusted so she has a litter box and her food up here because she refuses to get down from here to do anything and if another cats happens to get up here she hisses and growls and if they don't move fast enough she attacks! But she doesn't spray, thankfully...I have been giving her Rescue Remedy in her water the past few weeks and she actually has mellowed quite a bit. I got it at a health food store or you can order it online at a lot of places. She actually let two other cats get up here and lay new to her the other night without going nuts.It's not an ideal situation but no one ever adopted her or even seemed vaguely interested in here and of course now she is 13 years old if the age that was on the note was right....ideally she would be in a one cat home but it's too late for that now. So I just try to make her as happy as possible, give her a lot of affection and attention and treats.
    I have found that an product called Zero Odor works great for cat urine odor, even after it has dried. Wish I could be more helpful and look forward to what the holistic vet has to say about Snafu.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your courteous comments and observations.