Monday, April 4, 2011

What to Wear

If there is one thing I dread come Monday morning…it’s staring into my open closet trying to find something to wear. Usually one or two of our eight cats (see my other blog Cat of Nine Tales) takes advantage of my indecisiveness to explore my shoes.

I try most days to pick out my clothes the night before so I don’t waste precious morning time on it. Let’s just say I am not a fashioniesta. I guess I am conscious of fashion because I do try to look coordinated (if not up-to-date). So I generally consult my partner for approval and I’ll confess that she buys most of my clothes now.

I'm more of a turtleneck and sweater kind of girl, or turtleneck with a shirt (or blouse or Oxford as you may call it) loosely worn over it. If I could get away with black pants and a colored turtleneck every day, I’d be happy. Well, honestly, pajama pants and a t-shirt would be happiness, the former desire would only make life easier.

So as winter fades away and warmer, longer, sunnier days draw near I do not look forward to its clothes. Short sleeves which show off my lovely croissant-like arms…you know, white, pasty with layers folded over layers in a delicate curved shape, and shorts to send glaring flares of white flesh up into your eyes (if you aren’t wearing sunglasses).

Oh, yeah, the sun? I appreciate the work it does, and I do enjoy a bit of warmth now and then, but I stay out of the sun as much as possible. My mother blessed me with cancer prone genes and even though her kind of skin cancer was the easily removed kind, I have no interest in tempting that.

I’m happy just being a white girl who prefers to cover up on a cloudy day in winter.

5 comments:

  1. I love my job, jeans and a uniform t-shirt. You would be amaxed at how many fish-white folks there are in Las Vegas; myself among them. When the sun is out 364 days a year, there's no challege to "tan".

    ReplyDelete
  2. No clothes problems here either, I'm with Trish except I wear jeans and a scrub top since I work at a vet hospital and I am permitted jeans rather than scrub pants because I work after hours. Just me and the little animal patients. Not being a fashionista and not even caring what's stylish I would prefer yoga pants and a tee shirt for summer and sweat pants and a sweatshirt for winter, and since hip surgery I have worn nothing on my feet but athletic shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our office is very casual, so I'm usually in cotton pants and sweaters in the winter, cotton pants and dressy t-shirts in the summer. No shorts for me anymore...gawd, no one wants to see cellulite down to the knees, plus spider veins to boot. Gross. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a melanoma survivor I do not favor going out in the sun. But I do love the sunless tanners that are on the market. I am Scandinavian white as that is my heritage. I look pale all the time without some assistance.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an outfit for winter (jeans or cargo pants, long-sleeved fitted T, and men's J Crew sweater, with boots, for going out; same but minus the boots and with Lands End fleece top that doesn't collect dog hair, instead of sweater, for staying in) and an outfit for summer (Sporthill skort, sleeveless polo or light-weight button-down shirt and a little jacket if needed, with Sketchers tennies), which makes it very easy. Spring and Fall are harder, but there I go mostly for jeans or skort with LL Bean 1/4-zip polyester top and zip jacket if needed for warmth. I use the brand names because I buy most everything through eBay and that's how I identify the item I want. I really hate to shop.

    I love summer clothes because I have slim legs and arms, and they're toned because I work out a lot; I dislike winter clothes because my stomach is the genetically disposed locale of my fat and bundling more clothes on top of it only adds to the bulky feel and look.

    I don't care if my arms and legs look white or not. I'm ready for warmth! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your courteous comments and observations.