Monday, April 25, 2011

The Light of Music

At yesterday’s Easter service our priest, The Reverend David Matson, said that some people believe that “The Light” is in a fierce battle with “The Dark.” He pointed out so matter of factly that there is no battle because Light dissolves Dark. Where there is Light, there is no Dark.

Then we sang, “Alleluia, Sing to Jesus” for organ, viola and choir in an arrangement composed by one of our church members with DP conducting. It was a beautiful, surprisingly difficult piece that we had not practiced nearly enough. We barely pulled it off, but that is how we roll most times. I’m sure no one from the congregation cared if the choir came in exactly right because the viola was so mesmerizing. I find that music is one of the brightest Lights in life for me.

Our Easter service began with DP hailing the Resurrection on her trumpet accompanied by violin and viola. I wish I knew the name of the piece, but it was bright and festive. Then all our congregation’s children (accompanied by a parent) came down the aisle banging drums of all sorts singing a “Halle, Halle, Hallelujah” song backed by us, the choir. After they took their seats, DP and her trumpet came in again to accompany the choir as we processed to the alter with “Hail Thee Festival Day,” all eight versus. Despite all the other pieces we sang Good Friday, Saturday’s Easter Vigil and on Easter Sunday, that’s the one the keeps playing through my head and rolling out of my mouth. I am so proud to be a part of the wonderful and dedicated group of musicians at St Matthews. They have such a beautiful musical tradition.


It's choral music I find the most spiritually cleansing. It's a creative collaboration of individuals, each bringing their light (soul) through their own body (voice) into a single Creation (a musical piece).

This guy says it best in this phenomenal TED Lecture (it’s only 14 minutes) given by composer Eric Whitacre on his background and his creation of a 2,000 member “virtual choir” using YouTube. Definitely work checking out if you love music. 

2 comments:

  1. I grew up in the Anglican church, sang (poorly) in a couple of choirs till I was in my late teens. And while I'm no longer a practicing Christian (if only "Christians" I've met would actually practice the teachings of Jesus....) I still love choral music. "Alleluia, Sing to Jesus" is one my favourites, but of course I don't know if the melody you were singing is the same one I grew up with decades ago.

    And for me, it's not Easter unless I hear "Jesus Christ is Risen Today." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, gave me goosebumps...thanks for sharing. I think if I am ever confined to a bed, TED will keep me growing and learning and alive. I don't make enough time to visit there enough now...

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your courteous comments and observations.