Sunday, April 3, 2011

Freesia

Freesia is my favorite flower scent. Oh, I love Gardenia, along with Roses, but both of them are rather heady when Freesia has a lighter, crisper scent without being too sweet like Honeysuckle. There was a time when my favorite scent was Lauren by Ralph Lauren, then it was Opium for a short time. I even wore Patchouli for several years, but I didn’t really love the smell of it like I did Lauren and Opium. A couple years ago I had this scent made for me with a “too cool” combination of scented oils trying to copy the smell of an oil I was given in a Reiki workshop. It’s also kind of heady.

I love to take deep breaths of Freesia if anyone is lucky enough to get a real live bouquet of fresh flowers.  The other day I thought to myself, they should bottle this so I can wear it and smell it all the time? Then I remembered that they probably do bottle it, so now I’ll look forward to this year’s county fairs and the booth selling pure essence oils and look for Freesia. I also might check out Lilac’s smell to see if it is nice or too heady next to Freesia.

Gone are the musky scents of sexuality that seem heavy and exaggerated to me now. They get caught in my throat and make me cough. I want to smell like something natural, made by the Creator. I want to smell like flowers.

This is how I know I’m getting old.

6 comments:

  1. Maybe your nose is smply more refined! I'd stick with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I want to smell like flowers. This is how I know I’m getting old." Are you serious? Kids and dogs like to smell flowers! You're getting young.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out Etsy.
    There are so many people making scents on that site.
    I do not care for the heavy smell of perfume. But I do like the clean smell of laundry that has blown in the wind. There is a scent by Philosophy called PURE GRACE that is soap and water clean smelling. I too go for simplicity especially in smells. My hearing may be bad but my sense of smell is excellent!
    HA!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! It's simplicity of scent I think I'm returning to. I'm getting young...or returning to the source.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So similar...I used to love Opium and now it's too 'heavy'. Loved Liz Claiborne but now it's too sweet. Freesia is lovely, and reminds me of my Nana who grew them in abundance. Right now, I am favoring light body mists by Healing Garden--Lemongrass and Verbena, fig and lavender, pomegranate and vanilla.

    I will have to check Etsy (and kill an hour, haha). I like the essential oils too but have a funny lemongrass story...a coworker said I smelled like Pledge so I must have overdone it a little!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ADORE freesia. When I used to work at the supermarket they used to bring fresh cut freesia in during the spring, and I would buy it as often as I was able. I have bought them forced in pots as well. I've even purchased bulbs and tried to grow them, but I have had absolutely no luck with it.

    I so prefer the purple to the other colors.

    Many years ago Bath and Body made a freesia perfume that was almost perfect. They changed the formula and I was so sad that I went on ebay and bought as many of the old forumla as I could find. :)

    If you find something that smells like the actual flower, I'd love to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your courteous comments and observations.