Thursday, April 14, 2011

Leaving the County


As we were driving down Route 1A from Fort Fairfield into Mars Hill, the wind turbines whirled most productively atop the hill in the distance. It was only overcast up there and we did not hit rain until passed Houlton. The brown snow patched fields and endless evergreens were cast even grayer than the day before without benefit of sun, and I got thinking that I may have been harsh on the County in my previous post.

What were some of the good things I saw and felt the day before? On our way up (before we got off the interstate and into the towns) I saw three pairs of “birds of prey” in separate nests built on power line poles. In two cases one bird was sitting in the nest while the other perched beside it. In one sighting, both birds were in the nest. I could not tell which were hawks, ospreys or eagles. But I most definitely saw an American bald eagle soaring over I-95 North. When the sun shone through the brilliant white tail feathers and head as we drove under him, there was no question what type of bird he was. Now that was a gift.

Where ever we stopped, the Dead River gas station, a restaurant, our hotel, our clients, the people we talked to were very friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. I thought to myself, they are the employed ones up here in the County. They are the best at what they do and are grateful to have a job. When I was packing up to leave the hotel in the morning, I got a knock on the door and a woman’s voice said “housekeeping.” When I opened the door, I must confess I was shocked to see a young white woman with red hair and a big smile. She is a Mainer and not an immigrant. Looking around I noticed the whole housekeeping staff were cheerful, laughing young American women. I wondered if this was a sign of how bad the economy is…that Americans are choosing to work the usually less desirable (lower paying) jobs.

We were there in the County to deliver bad news. That’s our job. We tell our clients, “Guess what? You are going to pay more for your health insurance than you did last year, and you are going to get less coverage. Okay? Sign here.”  In one meeting of a small group of just two people, I was getting punchy by this time of day when I said, “It’s simple. The insurance carrier says ‘You-pay-more. You-get-less.’” Then we all laughed at the truth. My boss and I try to make it fun and friendly to pay more and get less. That’s our job too - as health insurance brokers.

1 comment:

  1. It must be troubling to see some of the changes that are being imposed upon on all of us in one form or another in health care options.

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your courteous comments and observations.