Thursday, May 5, 2011

Powerless

Well this is disappointing. My power just went out and now I’m on battery to write this. Just when I think I have nothing to write about…Ping! I have an idea handed to me.

Got to love the power of creativity.

All winter long we got a flicker here, a flicker there and kept our electricity flowing. I think we had one ½ hour outage. Tonight we have a little rain storm and…Ping!

I say “Ping” because that’s the noise the microwave makes when it goes out with the power and also “ping” when it comes back on.

It scares the dogs to no end.

That ping is heard several times a day everyday when we cook stuff in the microwave, but when the power goes out…the ping becomes the boogie monster. When I let Buzz (our female Jack Russell Terrier) out for potty, she went into the woods and planted herself with ears flat and tail tucked. She would not come no matter what treats I promised her. I had to go retrieve her physically…all this in the rain, of course.

Why is it when the power goes out, I immediately feel like I have to go to the bathroom and I get hungry?

Well, luckily we store lots of bottles of tap water for just these occasions, so at least I won’t go thirsty for the next two hours. That’s what Central Maine Power’s recording said when I just called them from my cell phone (digital phones go out with the power). It must have been a big accident or major issue because they listed not only my town and the surrounding towns, but also the city of Augusta. It’s huge!

I managed to swallow a luke warm dinner that was sitting in the microwave. I only got through the first half of the cooking process. Not totally bad, but not recommended for daily consumption. The temperature of it wasn’t the worst, it was just not cooked through and a bit chewy in places it ought not to be.

Well! There now, the power just came back on! That wasn’t even a whole hour. And now I’m done!

I love electricity {big sigh}.

1 comment:

  1. do you start flagrantly using electricity when it comes back on after a prolonged outage? I'm usually very conservative, shutting off lights when no one is in the room (following DH often to shut them off when he leaves) but when I have been with out power for a while, i often turn all the lights on just because I can.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your courteous comments and observations.