Friday, May 13, 2011

Too Sleepy for Yes

It's 8:00 at night and it is still light out. This does not feel natural to me. The night time is a time of pulling in, of winding down, of being still and resting. To have it light implies I should be doing something other than that.

I should be out consuming, spending money and getting into debt like a good citizen.

It’s after 8:00 PM and birds are chirping outside!


I had an opportunity to say yes, but I chose no.

A Maine author was scheduled to speak at our local city library Thursday night at 6:30. She is Pulitzer Prize winning author Elizabeth Strout, creator of said prize winning novel, "Olive Kitteridge," which is set in Maine.

I was too tired. I was anxious to get home after a full week of work for the first time in three weeks (sick days led to long weekends). I gave it some thought, but I could not find the motivation to say yes.

Argh. I'm disappointed in myself but I'm glad I went home. We had a rough night Wednesday because Buzz was sick and whining through the night. I got up a couple of times, DP got up a couple of times. The cats were wondering what was going on and wanted to eat breakfast at 2:30 in the morning, and wouldn't let it go… So I was too tired to say yes.

Instead, I said YES to going to bed early!

There you have it.

There is always a yes in life.

2 comments:

  1. I say "YES" to going to bed early every day. :-)

    It's often better to listen to our bodies' needs than push ourselves to do things just because we feel we "should."

    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would like this post, and all of Patti's books I think...

    http://37days.typepad.com/37days/2007/09/y-is-for-yes--1.html

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your courteous comments and observations.