Monday, May 9, 2011

Hi Ho

What a luxury it’s been to stay home sick and write. Today, Monday morning, I must return to the wild world of insurance and continue my paid mission to spread the cheer.

Why don’t I work at a book store?

Because I’m well suited for office work.

I crave routine and I create it where there isn’t any. I’m a natural organizer. That’s not to say I don’t like to mix it up now and then…usually every twenty-eight days or so.

When I took two years off from the workforce to write, I created a daily routine and had a space within my day for writing, getting the mail, doing chores.

I know that in retail and many other jobs, they mix up your schedule so you work various slots of hours during the given work week. I hate that. Waiting for your manager to make the schedule to see when you’d be working…would you have a weekend day off? I never understood why it had to be that way and the idea of subjecting myself to it, well it’s worse than the idea of working in insurance.

And to be honest, I choose not to do much “selling” of health insurance. I choose to be the account manager, the support person for my salesperson boss. I do not need the sales goal pressure, or the client loss disappointment. Even though those affect me, they do not run or ruin my work.

I got a lot of organizing and writing done on my projects the two full days I managed to focus on them. I feel real good about that. I have no goal or deadline for finishing it, so I’m free to progress at my own pace. Until another day…

By the way, our neighbors treated us to an hour’s worth of Foreigner and other 80’s music  blasted through their speakers on Sunday afternoon.

Still haven’t seen any little dogs, though J.

Happy Monday.

3 comments:

  1. An tactic, truly heinous, to use against the 80's Music. Close your eyes, now imagine your windows are open and a soft breeze wafts through the house when all of the sudden you hear Robert Goulet singing "if ever I should leave you..." at full volume! Or "Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain..."! Yes, loves, show tunes! Acoustic kryptonite to to the Foreigner loving trogs next door. Where I used to live, there was a little old fellow who had nothing better to do each day than polish his golf cart. He would always pop in a Robert Goulet show tune CD. Now,I have nothing against this Goulet person. But the music! Irritating beyond belief. Even began to become peevish with myself!!!
    Sorry you have to put up with the next doors. Can you move?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish that we could move, Kari, but only to a farmhouse. That's our moving goal, but it's not in the sites due to the economy. Actually the layout of our location right now is really nice otherwise...two acres, lots of land to run the dogs. This issue is new this year and we've been here 5 years. It's the worst problem we've had but I think we have a chance to get it under control. I've got Xena on speed dial ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahameow! One of the reasons I got my Bose Wave was so I could blast my obnoxious neighbors from time to time...know what they complained about?? The Kirtan chanting CD...said it gave them a headache...yeah, I know how that feels.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your courteous comments and observations.