Friday, May 27, 2011

This Blogging Thing

So I've had a reprieve from daily blogging, although I've kept up my cat blog (which is much easier for me to do), and I realized I don't know where I found the time to write a daily essay/blog!? I know I haven't been doing it long, only 50 something days, but jeepers creepers! I thought I'd have time to be writing other stuff, but I've been so busy I haven’t written another thing!

Anyway, I really wanted to spend more time with the cats too, playing with them and focusing on my bad boy, Snafu. At this point I don't think the herbal remedy we are giving him is doing anything anymore. His behavior (off Amitriptyline) really depends on how much one on one attention I give him and how much exercise he's gotten.

That really proved out a couple nights ago when I came home from work late. I'd gone to get some groceries right after work so by the time I got home, it was the dog’s bedtime (7:00) and all the cats were starving for dinner (they usually eat about 5:30).

Instead of going into Snafu’s room and giving him his ten minutes of one on one and play time, I just let him out (like I did in the not too distant old days) and tried to engage him while I put groceries away, and then I fed everyone.

What a nightmare!

After he ate dinner, he never, ever slowed down. He kept going after Penny and BJ and pacing back and forth from the kitchen through the living room and down the hall and all the way back. He'd pick fights along the way and then Angus decided to block him from coming down the hall, which always ends up in a fight. I had to keep stopping what I was doing and extract him from situations or try to redirect him.

Even when I settled down to eat, he kept going. He had to explore all the cabinets in the kitchen and kept meowing and meowing…until he finally wanted to go back into his room.

I was still trying to eat my Chinese take-out dinner after 9:00 that night!

I felt really bad for him and vowed not to do that again anytime soon!

Last night he was a lot better. DP was home during the day and the sun was out so he got to spend a lot of time outside in the cat enclosure. I spent extra time with him when I got home from work, too. He was good and napped some, but he still wanted to pace, but was just too tired.

Finally he got himself over-stimulated (like a four year old human does when they get over tired) and started being aggressive towards me, so I suggested (by the shake of his food bowl, because I wasn't going to pick him up), that he might want to go to bed early. After he nibbled a bit of kibble in his room, he conked right out!

Here is a sample video of him when he doesn't slow down. This was recorded a couple weeks ago. It doesn't seem to be much, but it's after 9:00 at night when everyone else has found a cozy spot to nap, and he's been going on like this for hours - just wanting my attention.

Anyway, I need to spend more time with the cats and with Snafu especially. So I’m good with blogging when I’ve got time and something to say.

So my next blog post will actually have a subject and not be about blogging!!


Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your courteous comments and observations.