Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Rescue Me

Saying yes equals leaving your comfort zone, taking risks and getting involved.

Monday I spotted a seagull standing in the still-matted-from-winter grass field behind our building at work. A flock of gulls is not as unusual as you might think in Augusta, Maine, but this particular gull was alone and as I continued to glance out the window at it every 15 minutes or so, I noticed it wasn't moving much, though its head was held high and he was looking around. On one glance I noticed him hobbling to a patch of mud spattered snow with one wing hanging low. He plunged his beak into the snow a couple of times presumably to get some water. My heart sunk at the sight.

Most everyone has experienced a bird slamming into their picture window. It usually sits for a moment or two at most, shakes off and then takes off. I watched this gull hop, shake, hop, shake, then sit for a long period. It wasn't going anywhere with what I thought was a broken wing. My work garnered my attention and after an hour or so I noticed the gull had hopped next to a high clump of dried grass. To its right were two crows bopping and dipping at something on the ground nearby. I watched intently as the gull hunkered down into the grass, but the crows apparently did not see him. I thought it might have died, but after the crows flew off, the gull lifted his head from the grass clump to survey his surroundings.
In the past I might have let nature take its course. Sure I'd feel guilty, but I'd tell myself that humans can't save every injured animal. This time I heard myself say, if this was my year of saying yes, wouldn't I like to help this gull?

Yes.

My first thought was food. I needed to feed him. I did what any good seagull mother would do; I went through the kitchen trash and found some french fries thrown out that morning. With my little navy blue flats on my feet, I slopped through the half frozen mud and ice to toss the food near him. He hopped away a few steps and I went back to my warm office to watch and wait. Nothing. He either hadn't seen it or didn't want it.

Now, how much did I want to get involved?

Since I first saw the gull that morning, the memory of DP and I taking an injured bat to a bat rescue had been running through my mind. So...I called DP. After a few calls back and forth between DP, me and a local bird rescue, we had a plan.

DP arrived at my work within 30 minutes. We herded the gull away from the road, closer to the building then I tossed a blanket over him. DP gingerly picked him up and placed him in a cardboard box as we were instructed to do. We loaded the box in the back of our pick-up and got on the road to Freedom, Maine and Avian Haven. A half hour later the boxed gull was handed off to kind-hearted gentleman with a pony-tail and cowboy hat. At Avian Haven, Tilty (the name we gave him) will be given free medical care. I can call them in a couple of days to find out his progress.

That’s what I call yes.

3 comments:

  1. I like your new version of yes. Thanks for helping that gull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for helping the gull. I like gulls ~ and all birds.

    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, you are living as you said when you started this blog! Stepping outside your comfort zone, saying yes and ending your day the better for it. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your courteous comments and observations.