Saturday, March 26, 2011

365 Days Until I'm 50


This body I was born into will be 50 years old in 365 days. Yes. Today (March 26, 2011) is my 49th birthday. To celebrate, I'm beginning this new blog, because I've put it off long enough.

Here is where I thought I'd write a list of things you should know about me, but then I realized that would take all the fun out of our mutual discovery. I'd be confining myself to a bunch of concepts, inviting preconceived judgments and perhaps expectations which I'm sure to disappoint.

I'd like to keep the option open to change.

During my 49th year I have decided to say yes. Yes to any number of invitations, ideas, friendships, and opportunities that in the past I would have said no to. Yes to its time to start a blog. It is time to make connections and expand my world. I’m a bit frightened but terribly excited.

Today my expectation is post every day. This is a challenge that my friend and writing coach has invited me to take. She has taken that same challenge from her writing coach and you can find her new daily blog here. I'll also put the link in my blog roll.

Today I also expect the nature of this blog will be about spirituality, aging (including that most lofty goal of menopause), women, a writing life, my past experiences and how they affect my current behavior, living with 12 pets and a whole lot more I have yet to think up. I reserve the right to rant on occasion, but I pledge to you (and me) that I will strive for understanding, acceptance, surrender and peace.

I will strive to be brief with an occasional longer essay so you can read my post, comment or not and go about your business.

I’m likely to be emotional - high and low. That’s just a warning for you.

I invite your comments, observations, and questions. I also invite you to become a regular follower. Please come back tomorrow.

Won’t this be fun?

~Lisa

7 comments:

  1. I'm the same age (turned 49 in December) and also feel "in-between" the Boomers and Gen X ... Looking forward to reading your thoughts, feelings, experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Lisa. This is Simba's Mom. I don't have my own blog, or profile, but I am a true Baby Boomer, so I am ahead of you age-wise. My husband just retired, but I am still working.

    Your own blog sounds like a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Poupounbette's #1 here. I have a few years on you (mid 50s vintage rather than early 60s). I don't have a blog of my own but I tend to use FaceBook for that sort of purpose. This means that I keep a fairly tight leash on FB friends and some people find that strange. But it then allows me to post more freely, knowing that readers are people I actually know and like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa,

    Kudos to your new adventure! I actually started my 'human' blog before my cat blog, to be a kind of journal and for my family to be able to see what I was up to as I was so bad about writing to them and calling often enough...

    Well, I don't think many of my family ever visit the blog and none are actually 'followers' but I don't even mind anymore as I have made so many friends via blogging that even my therapist says 'go visit them, vacation together, grow to depend on their support to round out your life...

    And while I post much more on my cat blog and have shared posts on both blogs from time to time, I am hoping to (once I get my basement aka birdwatching station for the cats back in order) to find more time to blog on the human side more often.

    http://terithorsteinson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa
    Never started a blog of my own, occasionally I add stuff on "Abby's" blog that I find interesting. I am also a baby boomer, I am actually 5 years older than you. Looking forward to learning more about you!

    xoxoxox
    Debra(aka Abby's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I am 19 years from 49, in May, but I love your kitty blog and know I will enjoy this one as well, even though I am long past being a boomer, I like to keep up with what younger people think. Plus all my close friends are from 15 years to more than that, younger than myself! Looking forward to reading about your new stage of life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! 49 sounds YOUNG! I am 58 now ~ but I'm cool with it. I feel so much more relaxed about life as I get older. Happy Birthday!

    Jan
    (Milo and Alfie's mom)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your courteous comments and observations.